Sunday, December 31, 2006

Some progress and some temptation

I have the husband's sweater done to the armholes. I still have to knit the sleeves and then join everything together. I've done all I can on the hat to be sent to Iraq - DD ran out of yarn on hers and had to use part of my ball to finish, then I knit as much as I could on mine. Will have to go get another on Wednesday. My brother and SIL gave me a gift certificate for the LYS, so I'm debating whether to get yarn or books and other things.

I've started the first baby sweater - from stash yarn! My oldest stash yarn, to be exact. When I first picked knitting up again about 5 years ago, it was because of Barbara Walker's Learn to Knit Afghan book. I completed about half of the squares and lost interest, but I still have some unused yarn. I want to put together the squares I did make, but don't plan to make any more. That leaves me with a bunch of Aurora 8 in 6 different colors to use. Not enough of any one color for a sweater, but I think I can use it up on hats, scarves, mitts, and that new Calorimetry pattern on knitty. I just made one in Classic Elite's Waterlily, which feels a lot like Aurora 8. The two colors I'm using for the babies are Pistachio and Blue Topaz - pale yellow green and pale blue. The Iraq hat is in Aurora 8 also - I'd forgotten what a pleasure it is to knit with. I think that's part of the reason I fell in love with knitting this time around. If I'd picked up some cheap, scratchy yarn for that afghan, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.